Background

Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Guest Post: Leigh

 I am pleased to introduce all of you to my second guest poster, Leigh.  Some quick background info about Leigh to help put the following story into its proper perspective: she is a mom of three little boys, ages 3, 2, and almost 1.  She is also very pregnant, and lives in a place in Arizona where the weather is hot and the inside of a car is even HOTTER.  Read on to hear her story about relying on a stranger's rescue:

Today I learned that child locks are dangerous.
I was loading the kids in the car after a shopping trip at Target. Since my 3-year-old and 2-year-old JUST moved to the third row of the car (to make room for baby), I climbed in to help buckle them into their booster seats. Trying to be courteous in case the owner of the neighbor car left while I was strapping my kids into the car, I closed the door ALMOST all the way. It shut. I thought nothing of it. I buckled my youngest in. I buckled the other two in.  Gave them sippy cups and a few fruit snacks (which I bought because I was hungry... But I knew they would insist on sharing with me). And I tried to get out. It took a second to realize why I couldn't open the door. Child locks. I thought for a minute about my predicament. I couldn't open the door, obviously. The keys were in my hand, so I couldn't roll down a window to access the outside handle of the door. I am nearly 8 months pregnant, so I couldn't crawl over my youngest's carseat (which is in the middle seat of the second row), nor could I crawl over the passenger's seat. There is just no room for me to go over anything. I couldn't go out through the back for the same reason. Besides, there is no inside handle to the rear door. I am trapped in my car with my three babies.  Trying to remain calm, I waited for someone to pass by. It takes a while for someone to actually walk by. I started pounding on the windows while shouting "help". The woman glanced up. A conflicted look crossed her face. And she started veering to the other side of the row, occasionally looking at the car. She did not stop to help. The boys started crying when they saw me getting agitated. Another lady walks by, so I try again. "Help me! Please!" I pounded harder. The second person stole a quick look at my car and sped up. She did not stop to help. I was hysterical. I screamed. I pounded. The boys screamed. And cried. I think a third person walked by without stopping to help. But I was so frantic it just didn't register. A man appeared outside my car next to me. He must have come up behind from the front of the car. I managed to shout, "please open my door; I am trapped" between sobs. Without hesitation, he opened the door. I started bawling uncontrollably. He made sure everyone was safe and sound as I scrambled out of the car. I thanked him profusely, not knowing what else to say to this stranger who has just saved me and my babies from baking inside my car. I quickly climbed into the driver's seat and just cried for a few minutes. I was so grateful for the stranger who helped; I was so appalled by those who just walked past. 
I get it, though. If the situation were reversed, what would I do? 
As a pregnant woman with kids in tow, I would feel vulnerable. What if it were a trap?
But I don't think I could just do NOTHING. Especially after my experience.
I would call 911. Or at least let security know someone might be trapped.
There are still good people in the world, even if few and far between.

No comments:

Post a Comment