Background

Sunday, April 22, 2012

Guest Post: Kylie Pond

You, my dear readers, are all SO lucky today!  You get both a community spotlight (see previous post) and a guest post all in one day!  As if that's not amazing enough, there is a guest poster tomorrow morning as well.  What a treat. :)
Without further ado, read on to hear from Kylie Pond of the blog Love, Always.  She gives some fantastic pointers on simple ways to spread kindness:

I've been struggling to find something to write about since Amy asked me to write a guest post.
I know it really shouldn't be that hard, but for some reason it is. However, a few things come to mind. 

1. I've been thinking a lot lately about kindness. Not just because of Amy's project, but it has helped. I wrote a post on my own blog [here] about kindness in the home. I wrote about how I'm trying to be less judgmental and to practice being kinder to my own family members. While I completely agree with Amy that kindness to strangers is very important....don't you think being kind to your flesh and blood is maybe even a little more important? How easy is it for us to get frustrated and short-tempered with those that we share close bonds with? I know no family is perfect, but I believe in striving to make homes a heaven on earth.

That being said, my husband is a great example to me. Amy already sang her husband's praises, but let me tell you about mine. My husband, TJ, makes me a PB&J sandwich every morning before I go to work, as my breakfast, because I just can't get out of bed early enough to eat breakfast before I go. He even does it on the days he has class the same time as I have work. And on the days he doesn't have class, he drives me to work so I don't have to rely on the shuttle to get there. Great guy, right? Not only does he do this, but he does the dishes every day. Even when I don't cook dinner, or when he's running low on clothing and underwear because I've been slacking on the laundry. These simple acts of kindness mean the world to me. His serving me reminds me every day that he loves me.

2. Just smile. I'm the type of person who wears my emotions plainly on my face. If I'm upset, you can tell just by looking at me. The problem is, it doesn't always translate properly. If I'm in deep thought, my brow furrows and I look upset, but I'm really not. So, sometimes I have to practice smiling. I think smiling is one of the simplest, most human ways to show kindness. Also, did you know that the mere act of smiling makes you happier? The smile muscles in your face trigger the endorphins (or something) and your brain thinks you're happy, even if you weren't previously. So just smile! It'll make you happier, and probably brighten someone else's day, too.

3. Say "Hi" or "How are you?" to the people you interact with. I work in a building that has a conglomeration of offices as well as food service. Every day, I venture outside of my office to refill my water. And most days, I pass this same food service employee who cheerfully says, "You have a good day now ma'am!" and it always makes me smile. There are others like this in the place where I work, and it just feels good to know people are trying to make others days brighter. Try it when you're at work, school, or the grocery store. You might be surprised how good it makes them feel, and how it makes you feel.

That's all I have! Thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment