Background

Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Good morning!

Here is a well-known fact about me: I am sooo not a morning person.  I think I stopped being a morning person after, I dunno, third grade.

So naturally, I'm kind of a crab before noon.  Ironically enough, I am the student worker who got landed with opening the office at 8 am...four days a week.  I don't have a key, so I wait outside my office door for my boss to come unlock it, and because we're located RIGHT inside the student union's front doors, I see everyone who comes in.  They are all either going to their own offices, or else heading over to Starbucks for a quick morning shot of caffeine.  Everyone pretty much looks as groggy as I feel, so I don't ever go out of my way to make eye contact or say nice things.  No one else ever does either...

...Except for this morning.  This young man, maybe 20 or so, waltzed right in the front door with a staggering amount of energy, flashed the biggest grin ever at me, and boomed out a resonating "Good mornin'!"  I couldn't help but return his smile; I even managed a weak, croaky "Morning!" of my own.  I felt instantly less grumpy.  Goodness knows I needed that boost of happy.

I think I'm going to try to be a bit happier and more friendly in the morning now, because I know it made a huge difference when that guy was friendly to me.  Why don't you all join me in this challenge? :)

Challenge for the Day:
Smile at a stranger and tell them "Good morning."

4 comments:

  1. Forget 3rd grade. I don't think you've EVER been a morning person ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So totally the opposite from me! I love mornings, and I'm glad this is your challenge because when I go into work it gets a little sadder every person that you say good morning to that just grunts in return... even worse are the ones who say "is it?" Well, it was!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lisa...you're probably right.

    Carol, I'm so glad there are morning people out in the world! Sorry everyone else is a grouch like me :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it when people are randomly cheerful, morning or not. Oftentimes, it's exactly what I need to hear. I know I feel a little better in the mornings when I grab a quick breakfast at the bakery in the union, because the guy that works there is always cheerful.

    ReplyDelete