Background

Tuesday, March 20, 2012

And I'm freeee...Free fallin'!

After months of a super dry, non-snowy winter, the weather decided to DUMP on Flagstaff, a few days before Spring officially starts.  And one day after beautiful, sunny temperatures.  Silly weather.

(Borrowed this picture from my friend's Facebook.)  This is the result of not even a day and a half of storm, after a long period of no snow ANYWHERE. 

Something I've learned in my 3+ years of living in this city is that ice is slippery; snow is crunchy.  It's better to walk in snow a few inches deep than it is to walk on a flat, icy surface!  Wear snowboots that are waterproof and have lots of rubber tread, even if they aren't cute.  Don't buy $12 cute Walmart boots that have FOAM soles...they are not waterproof, nor do they grip even crunchy snow.  (And please don't wear stilettos.  Apparently some girls at NAU think that's a good idea...I don't even want to get started on that one.)  Also, if you go slow and step toe-first instead of heel-first, you'll usually do just fine walking on ice.  So after having learned all these great bits of snow wisdom, you think I'd be prone to falling, right?

Theoretically, anyway.

I have AWESOME boots that I love.  They are pictured below, but mine are much rattier looking because of all the mileage they've gotten:
Warm, comfy, grippy tread, durable.  And affordable.  I have NEVER fallen in the snow or even on ice since I've bought these babies!  I may slip, but I've been able to catch myself every time.

Until today.

BUT, in my defense, my boots are not to blame!  My baby is.  Haha :)  I slipped, was able to get traction back, but then lost my balance and biffed it right as I was stepping onto the sidewalk from the road.  Something about being 27 weeks pregnant throws off your whole equilibrium...or something.  I felt a little bit like this:


Scraped my knee a little, but my pride was more wounded than anything else.  :)  Even so, a couple girls walking by stopped and asked if I was ok.  I was fine, so I laughed it off and very ungracefully got back on my feet.  I was super embarrassed they saw my little spill!  For my ego's sake I would've preferred if they kept on walking and pretended like nothing happened.  But for humanity's sake, I am SO happy they were concerned enough to make sure I was alright.  What if I had fallen hard on my belly and induced early labor?  What if I fractured a bone?  Got a concussion?  I would've definitely appreciated their care and attention in those cases.

Thankfully, nothing happened, and all is well.  But I am so glad two girls were kind enough to be concerned about a poor, clumsy stranger's welfare.  Thanks, ladies!

Challenge for the Day:
Lend a helping hand, in whatever way you see fit.

2 comments:

  1. People don't want to be involved if you go into labor, break a bone or concuss your brain. I certainly would panic if I saw a pregnant stranger fall, asked if she were all right and she told me she had induced labor!

    I'm just sayin, this hypothetical seems like a lot of involvement for checkin up on someone. Not to say it's right or wrong. Just what your story provokes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In response to your challenge, here’s what I did maybe a couple weeks ago, but it still counts :D I was exiting the Union Point one morning and a woman was coming up towards me. She asked if the building I exited was the bookstore, so I told her it wasn’t and pointed to where the it really was, but it was hidden behind Gillenwater Hall, so to clarify the instructions I gave her without letting her become confused by the buildings in the area, I walked her far enough so she would have a clear shot to the right building. She expressed her thanks, and I turned back around to get to class. From that one short interaction, helping her had lifted my mood for the rest of the day and I was really glad I got to help her.

    ReplyDelete