Background

Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Bus Ettiquette

Before I begin, I just have to start off with a big THANK YOU shoutout to my good friend, Kylie Pond of Love Always; she graciously made me a button for my blog, featured on the sidebar to the right (and which you are welcome to post on your blog, if you feel so inclined).  Thanks, missy!  Also, thank you to all YOU fabulous readers; I am so excited by the overwhelming support and encouragement you've showed so far in this journey!  This is for you:
FYI, I get the majority of my pictures from Google Images.


On to business...

Yesterday I rode the NAU shuttle to get to a research meeting.  Now, I never ride a bus unless I'm in dire need.  As much as I enjoy being around people, I don't enjoy the smashed-with-strangers-tighter-than-sardines feeling.  Plus, I'm in my 6th month of pregnancy and have no center of balance anymore.  I was lucky enough to score a seat this time, though, so at least I had some semblance of a personal space boundary, and balance wasn't an issue.  Because I was sitting directly across from the doors, I had the opportunity to watch everyone frantically boarding the bus.


Among the mob of students trying to get on at the first stop, there was a boy on crutches; his right foot and ankle were wrapped.  Everyone was pushing past him to get on the bus before him.  He even winced in pain a couple times as his foot got hit.  I was horrified! Didn't anyone else see him?  Why weren't they letting him in??

After he finally got onto the bus, I felt so bad that I was going to offer him my seat...and then remembered the whole pregnancy thing.  I'm ashamed to admit that I stayed silent.  I watched from my comfortable(ish) seat as this poor kid struggled to find a sure-footed position that wouldn't result in him losing his stability and flying into another passenger.  Everyone else watched from their comfortable seats too, with sidelong glances, pretending they weren't actually watching.  Because then that would mean they saw a problem and didn't do anything about it.  (Not that I'm guilty or anything.)

Just before the doors closed and the bus started moving, a deep voice spoke out: "Here, man, take my seat."  The crutches kid started to protest, but then this well-built young man in gray sweats and a blue hoodie stood up; he was tall.  "No, really.  Go for it."  The guy on crutches managed a small smile and mumbled a quick "thanks" as he plopped down into the open seat. I was overjoyed to see that when the crutches kid's stop came up, he stood up from his seat--and everyone hung back to let him off first.  He looked embarrassed, but grateful.  I glanced back at the tall guy in sweats who gave up his seat, and I swear to you he looked just like this:
It was amazing to me.  Even though everyone's initial response to the situation was to look away and pretend like nothing was wrong, all it took was one person to say, "Here.  I see you're having a problem and I want to help."  Suddenly, everyone else in the vicinity was helpful too.  My faith in humanity was restored, for the time being at least.

Next time, I hope I'm the one to stand and show a little kindness, even if it means I have to give up my oh-so-comfy hard plastic seat.  How neat would it have been if I was the one to start the chain reaction of courtesy?  I would've felt so cool.  But instead, I sat on my rear and fumed about how rude everyone else was being.  I know none of you wonderful readers are as hypocritical as I am.  Right? :)

As always, thanks for stopping by, and remember to be a better person than I am!

Challenge for the Day:
Let someone walk/merge/board the bus in front of you.

1 comment:

  1. It's ironic that you would post this, since I had my own little incident yesterday. I was literally the last person to squeeze onto an over-full bus, and the guy behind me was stopped from getting on. I felt bad about it, tried to justify, and felt bad anyways. I resolved today that if I'm in that situation again, I'll let someone else on before me, even if it means I'll be late to my own obligations. (And you're welcome!)

    ReplyDelete